You are currently viewing Mastering the 80/20 Rule for Social Media Growth

Mastering the 80/20 Rule for Social Media Growth

What is the 80/20 rule?

Social media algorithms are constantly changing, and keeping up with them can be quite a hassle, especially for businesses. Fortunately, the 80/20 rule for social media provides a simple framework for balancing authentic and promotional content. 

The rule comes down to this: 80% of your content is used to engage your entertain, educate or spark conversations with your audience. The remaining 20% is used to promote your brand, product, or service.

Why use the 80/20 rule for social media?

At first glance, increasing promotions might seem like it’d increase traffic, but unfortunately, nobody wants to be pitched to every time they open their social media. That’s why creating shareable content that your audience can engage with is crucial to social media growth.

Let’s break it down from a consumer’s perspective with 2 businesses. The first business, Pup Supply, is posting promotions, products, and sales 80% of the time, with the remaining 20% being relatable content. 

On the other hand, Pamper Pet is implementing the 80/20 rule. Their feed is filled with pictures of pets, advice for pet owners, and relatable pet memes. The remaining 20% of their content is promoting their products and sales. 

Now, ask yourself this question: Which feed would a pet owner rather scroll through, engage with, and share from? Which feed’s promotions stand out more? You’ve likely answered Pamper Pet for both of these, and that’s because they’re using the ‘80/20 Rule’ to create a comfortable social media presence.

What kind of content should I share?

20% Promotions, CTA’s and Offers

20% of your content should be dedicated to promoting sales and special offers or promoting new products. Keeping the 80:20 ratio ensures we don’t overwhelm our customers with offers, and adds more value to promotions and call to actions.

80% Interesting, Relatable and Sharable Content

80% of your content should be aimed at building a community, voice, and connections for your brand. This can be done through relatable, educational, or inspirational content. All of which can be applied within ANY industry. This can also include social proof if you don’t directly promote the product.

Need more ideas? Vitality Media has you covered 5 weeks of FREE engaging content ideas!

Stay In The Loop!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Leave a Reply